Friday 17 October 2014

In need of some order!

There is only so long I can cope with chaos!



 This is a view of my work room that I'm not proud of!!

My trouble is I tend to get carried away with several projects on the go at once and then spread all over my desk areas - and then really can't work on anything!!

I am fortunate to have a largish cutting/pressing area as well as areas for sewing and planning - not to mention considerable storage - but somehow it ends up looking like this.  I am quite a tidy person at heart but when the creative bug hits home - this is what I end up with! 

I had finished writing up the patterns for the Water Lily/Poinsettia candle mats so they didn't really need to be there any more - nor any of the associated fabrics and threads.  So it was time to put away - re-organise and start all over again.



A break from pattern writing was needed.  Something fairly straight forwards that I could pick up and put down without too much disruption.  Kai was still needing care although his leg/hip is slowly starting to show improvements it was still uppermost in my mind, so I didn't really need anything too heavy to concentrate on.




I started by sorting through some groups of fat quarters I had been hoarding  collecting together.

These little birds are so fun - just need to come up with a design that will utilize their orientation..............




..... love how all the colours and feathers work so nicely with the blenders - chosen to pick out colours in the bird fabrics - work so nicely together ...................







........  maybe I should start something with the Kaffe Fassett collection ................... 













.......  or this set of Text prints ......................








.............. in the end I decided I would work on a project I started a while ago.  I get a little obsessed with things sometimes - at the moment its Hexagons (and circles). I had purchased a bunch of bright jelly roll strips just because they were cheap and cheerful!  Not orderly like the collections above - really in your face.  I had been playing around with hexagons and saw plenty on Pinterest but it was the big and bright ones which caught my eye.  So these fabrics were ideal for starting something that I could pick up on when I had a spare bit of time and put away again until next time.  They have been waiting a while to be continued, after my initial enthusiasm.  I started by joining the 2 1/2" strips into pairs and then used my 60 degree ruler to cut triangles with my rotary cutter.




There is almost no waste this way and the best benefit is that there is no joining of little pieces - something I'm not that good at!

So - I ended up with a pile of triangles - I got 12 per strip.  Six of them have the orange at the point and the other six have the purple - so enough to make two hexagons.




Now to join them into half-hexis - which will be joined up into rows.  This is SO much easier than joining whole hexagons - no Y-seams!  This is not my unique idea - I have seen it on several places on the internet so I don't know who came up with it originally - but Thank You whoever you are - for making it easy!!

Eventually, once I've made all the half hexis they will be pinned up on my design wall to arrange the pattern, before sewing them all together.

But that's for another day - for now I'm happy cutting and stitching and taking a break from pattern writing.






No comments:

Post a Comment