Friday 24 October 2014

Hexagons and Vet bills!

After sharing my cluttered desk last week - this week it was time to get some serious stitching done.

Having sorted through my fabric collections I had decided to go back and finish some stuff off.  Starting with the really bright hexagons that I started last week.



I ended up with a pile of lovely bright half hexagons - ready to arrange into some sort of quilt.






This is how they look from the front and back once they are joined. 

Its not overly clear but I hope you can see how the seams are pressed.  Some quilters insist that the seams should all go in one direction and others say in opposite directions. 

On this half-hexi I pressed the inner seams towards the purple area and the joining seams in opposite directions.  It lays nice and flat which was my main objective. 

With this type of quilt it was difficult to decide which way to press them since I wont know yet how they will join onto other hexis.  However - I'm not too stressed about that - for me sewing is all about pleasure.  My quilts are not for exhibition they are for fun and the joy of making them and if a seam is slightly out - I can live with that!  That's not to say I'm a sloppy stitcher - just not going to beat myself up over a seam that isn't quite perfection!

 
The picture above shows the 'Y' seam in the centre of this half-hexagon.  In other words the point from the central triangle comes 1/4" above the seam edge.  It's not as clear as I would have liked, but I point it out as it took me a while to realise that was correct!  When the half-hexis are joined - with 1/4" seam - the points will be in the centre.
 


So - here they are - a lovely pile of half-hexagons all pressed and ready to arrange into some sort of quilt.

I don't really know what this will end up being - lap quilt - picnic quilt - bed quilt?  Who knows - I'm just letting it develop and enjoying the process.



I have a 'portable' design wall which I use to arrange blocks and see how they are working together.

I use the term portable loosely as its six feet by six feet - made up of two 6 x 3 sheets of polystyrene, covered in a napped cotton fabric and 'hinged' in the middle to join the two pieces.  Because my workroom is already full - no spare wall space - the design wall lives upstairs when not in use.  Manoeuvring it downstairs and into my workroom is something of a challenge.  But once it's in there - it really is great to have.  I can also fold it in half - with the blocks still in place - to work on another time.

The blocks can just be placed on the surface and the nap of the covering holds them well enough without pins, making it easy to arrange and re-arrange until I find an arrangement I like.



This is the start - looking at it now - I think it needs more pattern .................










This is all the blocks I have made - and now I have run out of those particular fabrics .....


........... it's about big enough for a table topper but I think I want it larger ............ so - more fabrics are order because, of course, I don't have the 'right' ones in my stash!!

It will have to wait a while now ..........







............  meanwhile - here are a few more hexagons!!

These ones are designs from Anita Good - they are stitched out on my embroidery machine and will hopefully become a table topper very soon.  I love the pencil sketch effect of these designs.






............. and this photo shows a little more detail of the stitching and how the blocks could be assembled.




Finally - whilst I was sorting through my UFOs - I found yet another hexagon - this time a small table runner from an online class I have been taking from Amanda Murphy.  I especially like her simple clean style for applique.  All this one needs is for me to finish the quilting and bind the edges.  Should be a quick finish then ................



Final note for today - Kai was progressing quite well with his leg/hip injury - he's taken a big step backwards this week and is on even more medication - even more limited exercise - and feeling very fed up!!  Our vet is quietly confident that will be all that's needed - at least for now.  I do hope so :)

Janx

No comments:

Post a Comment